Rob's LINKS Page
The following are all links to websites & Information that I've found helpful. Have fun and enjoy surfing....
A Real Estate App for iPhones, iPad, iPod Touch to assist you with your mobile requirements in searching & updating in our markets. Check it out its FREE and we'd love your feedback! Thanks!
Works on all platforms.
Enjoy Rob's photographic tour of the Shuswap Region with tons of photographs showing various aspects of the Shuswap Lake Lifestyle! We're Proud to Live, Work & Play Here!
This new association of waterfront owners has developed an interactive website which offers published articles of current events involving the ownership of Shuswap Waterfront Properties. If you are a current waterfront owner or plan to be one, you will most definitely find this site interesting. Check it out! BigRob is a member.
Salmon Arm & Shuswap Area Information
Whether you are moving to the Salmon Arm or Shuswap Area, already live here, or planning to visit, the following are excellent resources on our area to help you get the most out of our beautiful location. If you would like to live here, or perhaps already do?; this Information may be helpful:
Vacation Rental Properties & Info
Jewel Bay Resort on Shuswap Lake
Jewel Bay Resort is located on the beach of Shuswap Lake. It is a family vacation resort consisting of 14 cabins and 12 campsites, along a sandy beach with safe swimming area. Available are spacious 2 or 3 bedroom houses, and well equipped 1 and 2 bedroom cabins. Amenities include.......
Eagleview Cottages at Eagle Bay
Eagle Bay, Shuswap Lake, BC
Eagleview is a quiet family resort nestled on the shores of beautiful Shuswap Lake. With over 700 miles of shoreline, the Shuswap is a boaters paradise. Eagleview is centrally located on the main arm of the lake offering 500 feet of beach, boat launching, moorage and marine fuel service. A perfect "base camp" location to explore the Shuswap......
A Shuswap Holiday.com
Shuswap Lake Cabin Rentals
A variety of cabin rentals from a professional management company, whether you're looking to rent a cabin or rent out your cabin, good guys!
Carmel Beach Private Lodges
Eagle Bay, Shuswap Lake, BC
Carmel Beach is a truly exceptional vacation community of 23 luxurious detached lodges on BC’s magnificent Shuswap Lake. This unrivalled location provides access to both world class boating and golf. Enjoy the five star resort services and amenities including onsite concierge, as well as a private beach, club house, and dock. Rentals available....
Scotch Creek Cottages
Scotch Creek, Shuswap Lake, BC
Located in the heart of Scotch Creek, Scotch Creek Cottages include 20 individual units located around an acre of grass. We have 2 three bedroom units that can accommodate families of up to 8 people* and 18 two bedroom units that accommodate families of up to 6 people*. With several configurations of our cottages, you can choose the unit that suits your family best.....
Shuswap Lake, BC
A collection of homes and cabins that rent out on the Shuswap Lake and a great resource for vacation rentals. Be sure to call Rob while you're here and get a personal Shuswap Market update! There is no better way to become familiar with our market than to experience it!
Cabin Rental BC.com
Shuswap Lake, BC
A collection of Shuswap Lake vacation properties with a mixture of property styles ranging from waterfront, lake access and remote vacation rentals. Tell them Rob sent ya!
RV Camping? Check Out "Glen Echo Resorts" just 10 minutes from Salmon Arm with Daily or Annual Full RV Sites available! You can't go wrong here.... Beautiful Sandy Beaches with all that the Shuswap has to offer!
Please remember to tell them that Big Rob.ca sent ya! Thanks!
Agricultural Tourism in the Shuswap
Hotels in Salmon Arm and the Shuswap
Hotels and Motels:
Bed and Breakfasts:
Arts & Culture in the Shuswap Area
- Saga Public Art Gallery - The Art Gallery’s mission is to promote and develop the visual arts in the Shuswap Region through exhibitions, aesthetic and educational activities. The Art Gallery is run by a group of dedicated volunteers who are committed to community cultural development via the visual arts, and inclusive of all the arts where possible. 70 Hudson Ave NE, Salmon Arm, BC - Phone: (250)832-1170
- Haney Heritage Park - Take the family on a trip to the past visiting where a working forge operates beside an historical church and school house. Visit the museum and see their fine collection of photographs and current historical displays, or stroll the serene trails. 40 acres of parkland, free admission and a tea room During the summer months, stay and dine at the park’s popular "Villains and Vittles" dinner theatre ~ Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, 5:30 pm throughout July & August (reservations a must!). Hwy 97B (next to KOA Kampground, Salmon Arm) - Phone: (250)832-5243
- White Post Auto Museum - Display of vintage and special interest vehicles and 100’s of parts. 4439 Trans Canada Hwy, Tappen, BC - Phone: (250)835-2224 Fax: (250) 835-8805
Deep Creek Tool Museum - Extensive collection of antique tools, engines & equipment. Wednesday to Sunday, 9 am to 5 pm or call for special hours. 91 Deep Creek Road, off Hwy 97B - Phone: (250)832-2506
Salmon Arm and Shuswap Golf Courses
There are a variety of golf courses in the Shuswap and Salmon Arm area. Whether you live in the area, or are visiting, you can find plenty of opportunities to play.
Canoe Creek Golf Course: At over 7000 yards, Canoe Creek brings a bit of the British Isles to the Shuswap. The unique course features open fields, grass faced bunkers, very playable greens and beautiful water features. Having four sets of tees on each hole makes this course very playable for any level of golfer. The practice facility has a double-ended driving range with a CPGA Golf Academy at the far end. While long enough to challenge the world's best golfers, Canoe Creek accommodates the recreational golfer too.
The Salmon Arm Golf Club: The award-winning Salmon Arm Golf Club is dominated by the dramatic backdrop of Mount Ida, an extinct volcano. The immaculate tees, fairways and greens of this championship 18-hole course meander along the mountainside in a links-style layout sculpted amid towering fir and pine trees. An executive-length, nine-hole course and Golf Academy are also on-site. End a perfect day of golf with a delicious meal at teh Ironwood Restaurant. Ranked by Score magazine as one of Canada's top 35 courses. Salmon Arm pairs top-notch service with world class golf.
Shuswap Lake Estates Golf Course: The recently expanded 18 hole professionally designed championship course offers well bunkered, undulating greens, generous fairways and four beautiful lakes. This scenic course, Par 71, 6467 yards with three sets of tee boxes, provides a variety of challenges for both the accomplished and casual golfer. Practice facilities include a driving range, 2 practice greens, and practice sand bunkers.
Hyde Mountain on Mara Lake:
Carved into a cliffside above the waters of Mara Lake, Hyde Mountain's scenery is matched only by its playability. Dramatic elevation changes, phenomenal lake views and manicured tees, fairways and greens await golfers of all levels - as does the Golf Academy offering specialized programs for anyone looking to improve their skills. While at Hyde Mountain visit the loggers Restaurant and Lounge featuring breathtaking panoramic views from the patio. (Rob loves this course!)
Talking Rock Golf Course: A unique golfing experience awaits at Talking Rock Resort. The proud development of the Little Shuswap Indian Band, Talking Rock Golf Course encompasses rich native traditions and elements of native art. The course meanders through a mature sandy forest and finishes with a breathtaking 18th hole along the shoreline of Little Shuswap Lake.
Arts and Entertainment in the Shuswap
Salmon Arm Folk Music Society
- A truly amazing organization that works year round to bring an ecclectic mix of musical acts to various venues in the Salmon Arm area. Their biggest annual event is The Roots & Blues Festival.
For three fabulous days in August you can experience the largest and most diverse festival of traditional, world, blues and roots music in the interior of British Columbia.
Wednesdays on the Wharf
- June through September features live music acts performing on the stage at the Salmon Arm Wharf in the evening. A popular event! Bring your lawnchair or blanket.
The Salmar Grand and Classic Cinemas - The Salmar Grand has 4 screens and the Salmar Classic has one. All run, owned and maintained by the Salmar Community Association.
Starlight Drive-In- Yes, a real drive-in, just like the old days. Check online for opening date and show schedule.
Shuswap Theatre - Live theatre performed by extremely talented, semi-professional local artists
Runaway Moon Theatre - Innovative puppet theatre and community arts experiences located on the organic Curly Willow Farm in Grindrod.
Caravan Farm Theatre
- Non-profit professional outdoor theatre company whose home is 80 acres of farmland near Armstrong, BC.
The Salmon Arm and Shuswap area provide a variety of recreational and outdoor activities to keep you busy in all four seasons. Whether you live in the area, are looking for real estate in Salmon Arm so that you can enjoy the Shuswap's outdoor activities year round, or are planning a visit you will always find plenty to do in the great outdoors.
Nature Bay Activities
- If hiking is in your vacation plans, try the delightful Shuswap Real Estatetrails in and around Salmon Arm. Begin by strolling along the waterfront nature trail and view anywhere up to 150 species of birds, from spring through fall. For a little more of nature’s ups and downs, hike through the many trails of Little Mountain Park, or make your way along the Rotary Club’s Turner Creek Trail. For a restful in-town stroll, follow the delightful pathways around McGuire Lake, with its glorious fountain, birds and dozing turtles. Rest near the community’s friendship gate, built by Japanese artisans in celebration of a 10-year association with Salmon Arm. Hiking and Mountain Biking
- Plenty of trails for the amature to the enthusiast. That's Big Rob
leading a group into the cave behind Margaret Falls at Herald Park Campground....Larch Hills
- Cross-country skiing at its best. Over 150 km of groomed trails for all skiers and wonderful hiking and mountain biking trails in the summerLlama Trekking
- Enjoy a unique outdoor experience. Both half day and multi-day hikes available. Contact the Canadian Adventure company in Sunnybrae for details.Forestry and Nursery Tours
- Forestry is one of the areas major industries. Plywood and Lumber mill, Woodland, and Nursery tours are available.
Fletcher Park - An excellent place for the kids to play, picnic tables to have a lunch, skateboard park, and multiple soccer fields, baseball fields with washrooms & food kiosk.
Japanese Friendship Gate - Erected in 1998 by a group of Japanese craftsman to commemorate the friendship between Salmon Arm's sister city AzumaMachi in Japan. Nestled on the shore of McGuire Lake in the heart of Salmon Arm.
Marine Wharf Park - What better way to relax on a summer evening then to enjoy a concert in the park? Every Wednesday evening throughout the summer a free concert is hosted in the park on the shores of Shuswap Lake right downtown, also easily accessible by boat!
View more info and photos on Parks in the Shuswap area.
People visit, live, and move to the Salmon Arm and Shuswap area because of the lake and the abundance of water activities. The following is just some of the fun that can be had on or near the water.
Salmon Arm Community Centre
- Swim in the 25 metre indoor pool, Shuswap Real Estatesoak in the hot tub, warm up in a sauna, lift weights and let your kids play in the wading pool and gym.
That's BIG Rob
cutting up the lake on the slalom ski & His Son-in-Law, Brad, on the wakeboard....Salmon Arm Bay Wharf
- Long curved wharf - picnic area - bird watching. Boat launch, Marina, Rotary Peace Park, and Salmon Arm Nature Bay Trail McGuire Lake Park
- Picnic area with plenty of ducks and Geese to see. Watch for turtlesWater Slide
- 6 water slides, hot tubs, wading pools, arcade, mini golf, horseshoe pits, a concession and a gift shop - something for every member of the family
- Visit Canoe Beach for a happy day on the beach, accessible by car or boat. There’s lots of sand and picnic tables, a children’s playground and the swimming is excellent. A long grassy and treed area is a favorite spot for evening picnickers. A short stroll from the beach will take you to a general store, coin laundry, pub and pizza place. Walk a bit farther for a game of golf, tennis or pitch and putt a nearby Shannon’s recreation park.Margaret Falls
- A 10 minute walk into the falls with rock formations, streams, bridges and rich green plant life - the falls are magnificent - there is even a cave for the brave few to sit in to look through the falls back on to the onlookers. Across from Herald Provincial Park. Herald Provincial Park
- Go for a cool swim, pack a picnic lunch, see Margaret Falls and also take in a naturalist program - Located on Sunnybrae Arm of the Shuswap Lake.Fishing
- Salmon Arm is situated on Shuswap Lake with over 1000 km of shoreline - plus there are plenty of small lakes to get away to.Lake Cruises
- Cruise the Shuswap on either a Paddlewheeler or a speedboat. See primitive Indian paintings, sandy beaches, and untouched mountainside. Tours depart from both Salmon Arm and Sicamous. Bring your camera!River Rafting
- A variety of white water adventures of the Adams River
Shuswap and Salmon Arm Wineries
Granite Creek Estate Wines is a family owned and operated winery and vineyard located in the heart of beautiful Shuswap country. Surrounded by lush forests, mountains and of course Shuswap Lake, it all ads to the experience when dropping by for a wine tasting and tour. All of our wines are produced right here at our winery from 100% BC grapes, producing exquisite award winning handcrafted wines.
Larch Hills Winery is a land-based, family run vineyard and winery, owned by Jack and Hazel Manser. All our product is proudly made from 100% British Columbia grapes, either from our main vineyard just south of Salmon Arm (also the location of the winery and our home), or from contracted vineyards farther south in the Okanagan Valley. All our wines are made and bottled on our premises at Salmon Arm. We specialize in cool climate grape growing, and have varieties that are generally not available in other parts of BC. We think this makes our wines unique.
Recline Ridge Vineyards and Winery is family-owned and operated, nestled in the heart of the Shuswap Lake area of British Columbia. Although north of the 50th parallel, our vineyards enjoy sun drenched days and cool evenings which maximize varietal character and set the stage for the production of award winning wines noted for their clean sound structure, intense flavours and perfect balance.
Salmon Arm Observer: Weekly, Wednesday
Shuswap Market News: Weekly, Friday (Free)
Lakeshore News: Weekly, Thursday (Free) The Lakeshore News also publishes an annual guide, see 2008 Visitors Guide
Friday AM: Weekly, Friday. First Friday of each month is an All Month issue. (Free)
EZ Rock: 91.5 FM
The Shuswap area offers a moderate climate with four distinct seasons.
Climate normals according to Environment Canada
statistics show average daily temperatures range from -7.7°C in January to 27.3°C in August.
View the Five-Day Forecast from Environment Canada
Want a second opinion? Check out Canoe
or The Weather Network
Utilities, Hook-ups or Services
Moving? Go on line or call 1-800-224-9376 to arrange your power requirements.
Start, Stop or Move your service. Toll Free: 1-888-224-2710
Email, Call or Visit Telus Site. Moving call Toll Free: 310-2255 (within AB or BC - See site for add'tl No's)
Sun Country Cablevision Telephone: 250-832-9711 Salmon Arm
Neptune Pools 2521 TCH#1 NE, Salmon Arm. Telephone: 250-832-3378 Dwight Balt, Owner (Good Guy)
Snow Removal Contractor Rizzi Enterprises, 1290 - 70th Street SE, Salmon Arm. Telephone: 250-832-8739
Salmon Arm Garbage Removal Cheap Garbage Services Ltd. Telephone: 250-832-9292
Shuswap Garbage Service Shuswap Garbage Disposal, 1620 Kyte Rd, Sorrento. Telephone: 250-675-5384
Salmon Arm Bin Services Winkler Disposal Systems, 1441-10th Ave SW, Salmon Arm. Telephone: 250-832-6295
Recycling Bins for Salmon Arm (Drop off) 6540-50th Street NE / 2840-13th Ave SW / 4290-20th Ave SE
Shuswap Area Maps
The Shuswap is conveniently located halfway between Vancouver and Calgary on the Trans Canada Highway and sits at the Northern entrance to the Okanagan Valley to the South.
The Shuswap area covers quite a few square kilometres and you'll want to have a basic understanding of the communities that make up the area and where they're located.
Shuswap Lake is shaped like a lazy H and is made up of 4 "arms". Shuswap Lake or the main arm of the lake, Seymour Arm, Anstey Arm and Salmon Arm. The city of Salmon Arm is located at the end of - you guessed it - the Salmon Arm of Shuswap Lake.
The "North Shore" consists of the communities of Lee Creek, Scotch Creek, Celista, Magna Bay, Anglemont and St Ives and stretches down the North shore of the main arm of Shuswap Lake.
The South Shuswap is made up of the Sorrento, Blind Bay and Eagle Bay areas along the South shore of the main arm.
White Lake, Notch Hill and Tappen are south of that with the popular Sunnybrae area following the Northern shore of the Salmon Arm.
Sicamous is located at what the locals call "The Channel" which is where Mara Lake meets Shuswap Lake. Lately a developer has inadvertently caused confusion by naming a development on the channel as "the Narrows" which is unfortunate because Shuswap Lake already has a place called "The Narrows" or more correctly, the Cinnemousun Narrows. This is where all 4 arms of Shuswap Lake meet or where you can find the floating stores during the summer months.
Recreation, Scenery, Lifestyle
Shuswap Lake is one of the most popular recreational destinations in BC. The 1000 kms of Shuswap shoreline contains 22 Provincial Parks and offers unlimited water related recreational opportunities. The surrounding mountains provide beautiful trails for x-country skiing, snowmobiling, mountain biking and hiking.
Within Salmon Arm you’ll find parks, playgrounds, tennis courts, a championship 18 hole golf course, two executive courses and a recreation complex featuring an indoor swimming pool as well as numerous other sports and fitness options.
The lifestyle of the area, makes it a fantastic place to live.
Population: 17,000 (approx)
Elevation: 358 m (1175 Ft)
Incorporated in 1905 local government consists of a mayor and 6 councillors that serve 3 year terms with the latest election year being held in November 2008.
The city of Salmon Arm is located on the southernmost shoreline of Shuswap Lake. It is the largest urban centre in the Columbia Shuswap Regional District
and serves as the commercial, cultural and administrative hub for the Shuswap Lake region. Situated at the junction of the Trans Canada Highway and Highway 97B the city is located at the halfway point between Vancouver and Calgary (5-6 hour drive) and about an hour and a half drive to the Kelowna and its International Airport to the south or Kamloops to the west. Salmon Arm is also located on the main CPRail line.
Emergency Services: Call 9-1-1 for police, fire and ambulance services
- RCMP station, local number 250-832-6044, street address - 1980 11 Ave NE
- Fire Department: Volunteer service with paid on call members at 4 firehalls strategically located through the community.
Ambulance Service: A station for the BC Ambulance Service
is located at 3290 10th Ave NE in Salmon Arm.
SALMON ARM Community Links